Welcome!


Welcome and thanks for stopping by! Christina Conklin is a natural light portrait photographer specializing in newborns, children and families in the Cypress, TX area. Become a fan of FSP's Facebook Page and you will see your sneak peeks there too, as well as a few extras! It's easy to share your portraits with friends and family this way.

Christina is honored to be a volunteer photographer for The F.I.L.M. Project, gifting free family portraits to families battling cancer. Photobucket

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Wow 'Em Wednesday {Use Window Light}

So a few weeks ago I talked about filling the frame to really get an intimate image of your subject. Many of you tried it, but a few of you mentioned that your pop up flash washed out your subject's face when you got that close to them. I'm so glad you mentioned this!!

When I'm taking pictures indoors I always look for my best source of natural light. Look around your house and think about which windows let in the most amount of sunlight. In my case, my front bedroom has great morning light, and my living room has wonderful afternoon light.

Put your subject in a place where the window light is going to fall on them, position yourself so that you're not blocking the light, turn off your flash and snap away!

(Note: Try to keep your camera as steady as possible. The less light you have, the more you are susceptible to motion-blur.)

Ella,wow wednesday
Here you can tell the window was to my upper left. Do you see how the light is hitting the front and right side of Ella's face?




Ella,wow wednesday
In this picture the table is positioned around 6 feet in front of the right corner of the window.




Ella,wow wednesday
In this picture, she is sitting directly next to the window. I turned her so that the light fills most of her face, but leaves a bit of her left side in shadow. Do you also see how you can see the window catchlights in her eyes? If you were to use flash, you would take the chance of having red eye instead.


I would love to hear what you think!!! Let me know how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, going to try this again. You give great advice, I'm just a photo-dunce. I'll let you know how this works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your site. I live in Cypress too and I am so excited to try these tips!

    ReplyDelete