Welcome!


Welcome and thanks for stopping by! Christina Conklin is a natural light portrait photographer specializing in newborns, children and families in the Cypress, TX area. Become a fan of FSP's Facebook Page and you will see your sneak peeks there too, as well as a few extras! It's easy to share your portraits with friends and family this way.

Christina is honored to be a volunteer photographer for The F.I.L.M. Project, gifting free family portraits to families battling cancer. Photobucket

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Wow 'Em Wednesday {Back to School Photos} Cypress Children's Photographer

Summer's ending, and this will be my last photography tip post ... at least for a while. But don't worry, I have something new in store I'll be sharing on Wednesdays! In the meantime, if you really loved reading the tips, let me know! Comment on my blog, post on my wall, or shoot me an email! If I know you really liked them, I'll be much more inclined to bring them back!!

Now onto today's tip - Getting Great Back to School Photos!

Can you believe school starts on Monday?? Maybe you're planning on snapping some pics of your kids right before they head out the door for their first day of school. It's definitely a good idea to get some pictures of the momentous day, but how crazy is your morning already going to be?

You know what I'm talking about: Kids waking up late because they're used to sleeping in, getting them dressed with hair fixed and looking presentable, breakfasts eaten and lunches packed, school supplies all together, nerves acting up, etc. etc. Do you really want to then say, "WAIT! WAIT! Let me get a picture of you! STOP! SMILE! Stand here! No, not like that, like this!"

Now imagine the exasperated response you get from them.

Really, you want to deal with that in the morning??

OK, breathe ...

There is a better way! Have a first day dress rehearsal. Try on the new outfit a few days early, pack up the new backpack, and take your time having a fun back-to-school mini session with your child. Do it after dinner when it's cooler out. Find a place that makes a nice setting. Spend some time telling your child how much you love him, how special he is, and how wonderful his year is going to be.

That way, you'll have cute pictures of your child to mark the occasion without the stress of doing them at the last minute.

Now, I'm not saying to not take shots as they climb onto the bus or do special first day things! Knock yourself out snapping away as they go about their routines. But for that cute, posed "she's such a big girl" shot, do it early!!

Here are some other back-to-school photo tips:

* Snap a picture of your child holding up a sign with their new teacher's name on it.

* Take a picture with your child and his new teacher at Meet the Teacher. Then take another one around Christmas break, and a final one at the end of the year. It will be a fun way to watch how much your child grows and changes as they stand next to someone that remains the same.

* If you have a little one, send a picture of yourself in their lunchbox as a reminder that you're thinking of her and love her.

* Use props in a few pictures that reflect your child's interests at this time in his life. Is he really into dinosaurs? Star Wars? Won't it be fun to look back on those later?

* Take a full-body shot as well as a close-up. Don't you want to always remember those knobby knees and bruised legs? Oh, and that baby face will look very different by the end of May!


If you have any other ideas, post them, share them, tell us all!!!!!



To all my teacher friends - Hugs and best wishes for a fabulous year! You all rock and I love and miss you!

To all my parent friends - Congratulations! You survived the summer! Now it's time to par-tay!


And to all my parents-of-kindergartners friends - Meet me after drop off and we'll all cry together!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea. Jocelyne loves the idea so she can try her new school clothes on. Plus, I won't be there the first day. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I am hoping no tears are shed! Taylor actually starts a week after me because of NC Kindergarten testing, but I think it will be just as hard!

    I will have to do the pictures before. I love that idea!

    ReplyDelete